Friday, September 29, 2006

Breath in music

Breath in music: for some people, the two are completely inseparable. Singers, wind players can't build a phrase or do much of anything without breath. But, I'm finding, neither can anyone else. Or at least, anyone who really makes music well.

In my lesson with Carolyn yesterday, every time there were rests in my Brahms part, she breathed sharply and audibly before each of my entrances. [It's as if, listening to anyone play, she's very nearly playing it herself. Can hardly help it.] In piano trio today with Micah, I found that whenever I felt awkward violinistically, a good exhalation could take care of it. And then there's the fabulous double bass phenomenon: Edgar and his breathing, clucking and tsking sounds; J. Digerness back when we were freshmen. And my new friend Mike does it too, on the bass and jamming on the piano. It's fascinating, how deeply important it is for all of them. And these are all musicians that I really like, really respect. I love their playing, love their breathing, and so, love their existence. What could be more basic to a person than breath?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home