Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I try and fail to write everything.

What is best to write about? There are several options I'm considering:

- small, personal flirtations, mostly with foreign men,
- scenery,
- music.

Right, so music.

Unbelievably, I've already given an entire concert and will soon embark on another concert program. Our first concert, of Shostakovich 7 and the premiere of the cello concerto, was good. It was completely sold out. It was also extremely long, and at times physically painful. The Symphony is ninety minutes long, and not only did we play it at our 4pm Sunday concert, but we also played it through entirely at the 9am open dress rehearsal. Open dress rehearsals, for the record, are a totally crazy idea. Especially when Yo-Yo Ma is the soloist. There are hundreds of people present; how can you possibly rehearse? They expect a concert, and also treat the ushers terribly, from what I hear. And they gave a standing ovation at the end of Yo-Yo's performance, when actually, we didn't really have time for a standing ovation. Because it was a REHEARSAL ...

The audiences here are surprisingly rude. I mean, many of these people are very cultured and wonderful, but many aren't. Lots of people leave early. They all have cocktail hours and tee times to get to. Okay, that's enough negative energy about Aspen. But the average home here costs three million dollars, I was told the other day during a dinner at an Episcopal church. Isn't this sort of a Christian dilemma? I also have a problem with the fact that only rich people can afford to live in Aspen, or maybe even to see our concerts. We are like their personal entertainment for the summer. And it's sort of weird.

I am feeling good about being here, despite bitching that could suggest otherwise. I have seen some absolutely incredible concerts. The best so far was a recital by the Jupiter String Quartet, who just won the Fischoff Grand Prize recently and are all NEC alumni. Their Mozart (Prussian #2) was the most fascinating Mozart I've ever heard. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time, smiling, occasionally laughing. So, that was incredible.

And I just had a great lesson. Ms. Heard seems pleased with the way the Saint-Saens is going, and offers a lot of brilliant ideas for practicing the Bach. I love her, and I'm glad she's here. I'm glad I'm here with her.

Our next concert will include a Ciaccona by Mark-Andre Dalbavie (modern), a Prokofiev Piano Concerto, and Brahms Symphony no. 1. And that will be on the rehearsal menu, starting Thursday.

And I miss my parents.

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've started a new blog too. Blogger seems the next new trend, and I've started writing a fictionalized account of my life and daily experience. I don't really know who the characters are, and there is not much of a plot, but I never really cared much about that anyway.

http://kirjoitella.blogspot.com/

You're the first to know about it! And now it's out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home